Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited

After viewing Wes Anderson's latest film twice in two days, I've decided I like it. It's better then The Life Aquatic and Bottle Rocket, but not close to Royal Tenenbaums or Rushmore.

Adrien Brody is a stud. Owen Wilson looks like William Dafoe during the flashback sequence. And Jason Schwartzman, well, he kissed Natalie Portman and ran barefoot throughout the film.

I like how the film ends. I wanted to get a drink and smoke a cigarette afterwards.

The film was more funny the second time around. And I want the shoes Adrien Brody wears.

And I thought Hotel Chevalier wasn't that great. It didn't add much to Jason's character in Darjeeling.

I picked up on something that happens in all of Anderson's films. He always has a scene where the characters begin to talk and the background noise overpowers the conversation. I like these scenes. It allows your imagination to take over for a few seconds. It's due to Anderson's influences from the French cinema.

It reminds me of a favorite quote of mine by director Robert Bresson, "If the eye is entirely won, give nothing or almost nothing to the ear. One cannot be at the same time all eye and all ear".

All in all, it's good. Go see it. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: